Our story began in 2002. At that time, there was little available in the way of appropriate, accessible care for young people with eating disorders. Community programs were overburdened, hospital admissions entailed long wait lists, and families seeking residential care were forced to find it outside of Canada at tremendous expense and personal sacrifice. With a passion only those touched by the illness can know, a small group of parents joined forces to create the Looking Glass Foundation for Eating Disorders — a charity dedicated to fostering a deeper understanding of eating disorders, improving access to care, and responding to the desperate need for new programs and services.
Since then, the Looking Glass Foundation has helped nearly a thousand individuals and families affected by this devastating disease.
- We established Canada’s first and only residential treatment centre for adolescents, specializing in the care and treatment of eating disorders. Originally the Woodstone Treatment Centre on Galiano Island, our facility was relocated to Vancouver in 2014 and renamed the Looking Glass Residence, now operated in collaboration with the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
- For ten years now, we have been offering an 8-day Summer Camp for young people suffering from this disease – providing much-needed respite, recovery, and support to hundreds of families.
- In addition to providing support and referral services by phone and email, we offer a popular Online Peer Support service during six scheduled times each week, as well as a web-based Ask an Expert service with Dr. Meris Williams.
- Every year, our Scholarship program awards $15,000 to help six young people recovering from this disease to get a fresh start in life through further education – some 25 students so far.
- We continue to launch new and innovative initiatives for early intervention, recovery, and sustained relapse prevention – including our new Hand-in-Hand 1:1 Match Support and E-Learn Training initiatives in 2016.
Today, with our generous donors and dedicated volunteers, the Looking Glass Foundation has become a caring community of prevention and support for those suffering from eating disorders. The passionate belief that drove us in the beginning remains unchanged: that no one should ever have to struggle alone against this disease. All we need is a little love, trust, and tenacity.