Volunteer & Community Outreach Coordinator - Job Posting
The Looking Glass Foundation’s services and supports decrease isolation, instill hope, and sustain recovery for individuals across British Columbia who are impacted by eating disorders.
Established in 2002, our Vision is: A province where everyone who suffers from an eating disorder receives the services they need to support their recovery, and where the stigma of this mental illness is replaced with compassion and understanding.
As Volunteer & Community Outreach Coordinator, you will report to the Executive Director.
We are seeking an individual who is inspired by our mission, demonstrates a high level of motivation, is willing to accept new challenges and has the ability to manage multiple projects at once. You are a team player who thinks creatively, and demonstrates excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
You have a passion for working within the charitable sector, with particular empathy for the issues and opportunities around mental health. You have experience working or volunteering with individuals dealing with mental health issues, and ideally have a strong understanding of eating disorders and disordered eating.
Part of a dynamic and collaborative team, you will participate in weekly team meetings. Alongside your colleagues, you will support our organization in delivering empathetic and effective programming to those impacted by eating disorders.
Roles & Responsibilities
The Looking Glass programs are made possible by skilled and compassionate volunteers who are trained, overseen, and supported by our professional staff.
Volunteer Coordinator responsibilities include:
- Recruit and manage the Looking Glass network of over 200 program, committee, practicum and social media volunteers and applicants.
- Develop a Volunteer Manual which outlines roles and responsibilities, policies and processes, assessment and appreciation.
- Ensure effective initial and ongoing assessment, orientation and training of Looking Glass volunteers.
- Provide ongoing oversight of, and support for, volunteers.
- Schedule and host twice-monthly Volunteer Information Sessions.
- Maintain current volunteer job descriptions.
- Manage/enhance volunteer resources.
- Contribute to the development of surveys and other tools that support evaluation of the impact of, and opportunities to enhance, our programs and services.
- In collaboration with colleagues, ensure effective delivery and oversight of all Looking Glass programs and services.
Email, Phone and In-Person Support:
- Provide compassionate support and information to individuals seeking resources and guidance on navigating eating disorders.
Fundraising and Event Support:
- Participate actively in our Gala Committee, and oversee Gala volunteer recruitment, orientation, deployment and support.
- Support our Annual Appeal campaign, as well as other key staff- or volunteer-led initiatives that raise funds for our organization.
- Support grant applications and funding partnerships by providing qualitative and quantitative information that demonstrates the scope and impact of our programs.
- Facilitate our annual scholarship program, in collaboration with our Program & Events Coordinator and volunteer Scholarship Committee.
- In collaboration with our Marketing & Communications Coordinator, prepare periodic volunteer and/or community newsletters to share our mission and activities with our community and stakeholders.
- Completed post-secondary education in volunteer management, human resources, program development and/or community development
- Minimum three years’ experience working or volunteering in a related field
- An understanding of and compassion for mental health challenges and opportunities, ideally with specific knowledge of eating disorders / disordered eating
- Skilled trainer/facilitator
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point)
- Knowledge of WordPress and plug-ins, as well as MailChimp, would be ideal
- Proficient in Neon CRM, Smartsheet, or similar database/project management software
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Compassionate, with a professional demeanor and positive attitude
- Well organized, flexible and detail-oriented, with ability to manage multiple projects and tight deadlines
- Self-starter and collaborative, with an aptitude for identifying and addressing issues and opportunities
- Strong personal alignment with the Looking Glass vision, mission, and goals
- High degree of confidentiality
- Criminal Records and Vulnerable Sector checks required
This is a permanent, full-time position (37.5 hours per week). We work flexible hours, and this position requires some evening and weekend work. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Permanent employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit plan after a successful probation period.
Thank you for your interest in the Looking Glass Foundation. Please email your cover letter and resume in a single PDF file, to brenda[at]lookingglassbc.com with Volunteer and Community Coordinator in the email subject line. No phone calls; we will contact applicants who are selected for interviews. Application deadline August 30th, 2019.
Our Vision A province where everyone who suffers from an eating disorder receives the services they need to support their recovery, and where the stigma of this mental illness is replaced with compassion and understanding
Our Mission Looking Glass Foundation’s programs and services decrease isolation, instill hope, and sustain recovery for individuals across British Columbia who are impacted by eating disorders
Our Values Compassion ◆ Hope ◆ Integrity◆ Accessibility
Collaboration ◆ Accountability ◆ Courage